OUR MOTTO : C.A.R.E Christ-like Attitude Respect Excellence
The school has a discipline plan which was apply to all students. Parents will be given more information on these processes during our ‘hui’ at the start of term 1. Our aim is to use positive methods to correct inappropriate conduct. However, we need parents to form a partnership with the staff to have the best possible outcomes for the students.
Our Special Character will have a strong impact on the discipline within this school.
- The major strategy will be that of praise and positive reinforcement for good behaviour.
- Each child will be familiar with the school’s motto of CARE. An initial discussion will take place in private for any problem behaviours, where positive prayer will be used as appropriate.
- As all students are different, a range of consequences will be used to both fit the person and the behaviour.
- Any behaviour, that endangers or threatens the safety of either the children or teachers will be referred to the Principal who will employ the following steps:
i) A discussion or note to the parents of the offender.
ii) A stand down and suspension process will begin if necessary.
Bullying is not acceptable at any school, but being a Special Character school it is even more unacceptable, as it is against the whole Christian ethos.
We desire to have a safe, emotionally secure environment for our students.
There are 4 characteristics of bullying
· Bullying is deliberate
· Bullying involves a power imbalance
· Bullying has an element of repetition
· Bullying is harmful
Students at our school are encouraged to show respect to each other (C.A.R.E)
There are five main layers that we use to prevent bullying:
- Special Character and Bible: the use of CARE and discussions on how we should treat each other.
- Empathy: students are encouraged to show empathy to each other. Teachers model empathy, with students, other staff and parents.
- The NZC Principles include
-Relating to Others
-Participating and contributing
These are used to encourage empathy and are integrated into most areas of the Curriculum
- NZC Values of Integrity: being accountable and acting ethically.
- The Health and Physical Curriculum
- Relationships with other people
- Healthy Communities and Environments